Wednesday, August 10, 2011

The Canyon of Grandeur and Rock Houses!

So on to the next stop of my vacation, which part I was MOST excited for! The GRAND CANYON! I've wanted to see this beautiful place since I first saw a Mickey Mouse movie on it a bazillion years ago. Definitely on the bucket list! So we woke up early because we wanted to hike before it got too hot (and you know once we got there I realized I didn't bring a pair of tennis shoes more on that later). So we left Flagstaff and headed out on the open road. All the way to the Grand Canyon, iPhone and I studied everything there was to know about it (I know I'm a werido), but it's just fascinating. how it's just like flat everywhere than BAM a HUGE canyon.

So finally we arrived and I was so excited, and it was early enough there wasn’t very many tourists. OK so side note about this entire road trip. There are more foreigners visiting these National Parks than Americans. PEOPLE GET OUT AND SEE YOUR COUNTRY! Ok sorry rant over. We went the main lookout point first, and it was just breathtaking. Seriously, I can't describe how grand it really is. When we went to another side of the Canyon we even got to see some Condors. They are HUGE birds!  That was really special. My dad has his binoculars so we could see to the bottom of the Canyon, best idea EVER! I could just sit and look at it all day. I just felt really blessed and thankful for God and his creations when I stood there at the edge of something so beautiful.
 So here I am! I made it.
 Dad, me, and mom. You have to ride a bus now to get to the other side of the park. And those bus drivers are RUDE!
 I so wanted to take a donkey ride.
 Seriously beautiful!
 I LOVE how my dad looks like a tourist. Camera, binoculars, hat the whole works.
 Our attempt to hike, BUT my flip flops weren't going to cut it.
This sign has it's own parking lot, just FYI!
 
 This wannabe guide was telling a bunch of gullible tourists all these stories about the Canyon. Best one "take your pictures vertical, you see more the Canyon that way"... ha!
 The place where you can hike to the bottom of the Canyon.
 
 
A rainstorm hit while we were there. It was just so cool to see the clouds pass over it like that.

That Canyon was everything and more. I can't wait to take my kids there someday, to white water raft down that river, to take a donkey ride, to camp with my entire family, and to see the North Rim. We just saw the South Rim. When we were leaving it starting pouring so Mom and I had blankets around us, and mom's hair was in braided pigtails and this "foreigner" asked if we were Indians and wanted to take pictures with us. I mean I'm 1/16th Indian so technically yes... We laughed forever about that. On the way to St.George my dad wanted me to see this house built out of the rocks in the 1930's. So we stopped and I took a few pictures:
 It was freaky and cool all at the same time.
View from the back window!
The drive from the Canyon to St. George was absolutely spectacular. The scenery is breathtaking, really a must see. The mountains and canyons are incredible! We made it to St. George late that night but I still got to see Ashley Tippetts, another highlight of my trip. I don't know why I didn't take any pictures. Hold on because our next stop is Zion's National Park and Bryce Canyon!

No comments: