Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Winter Blues

Last night I was talking to my friend Sarah about life and we've decided that no matter how happy you are with life, you just get the winter blues in January and February (especially here in Rexburg, where it NEVER stops snowing). I would compare it to wanting to stay at home all day in your lounge gear and watch TV (or read), no motivation to get ready for the day and furthermore not caring that you spent all day in the same clothes you slept in. So after hanging out with my crew last night I came home and was deep in thought about life and was thinking about this conversation. If I know that I feel that way sometimes, and so does Sarah, there has to be others. There has to be a way to crack the winter blues. Here are some of my ideas:

  • Exercise. OK so granted I loathe running, and I try to do it as little as possible (haha), but really there's swimming, and I LOVE volleyball. Just going out there and being active and competitive boosts your morale and gives you a free kick (endorphins). But this is definitely one of my resolutions this year, to look forward to working out… ah someday.
  • Treat yourself. I got a massage about two weeks ago, yeah pretty much heaven. I plan on getting a manicure here in the next couple of days. Seriously, it's OK to pamper yourself, and it does make you feel better about yourself.
  • Shop. I know, takes money, but you are out and about. You actually don't even have to spend anything, I LOVE furniture shopping. It gives me some great ideas for the future!
  • Socialize. This one is probably the hardest because it not only takes you moving out of your comfort zone, but it's also reliant on someone else to complete the task. Seriously though, nothing compares to talking to someone face to face. If you don't have a place to go to meet new people, let me introduce to the Singles Ward of the LDS church, believe me, you'll socialize.
  • Music. There is nothing like turning on your favorite song and singing at the top of your lungs, whether in the car or shower. It just has to be done.
  • Service. Nothing beats this one; you'll stop feeling sorry for yourself and help someone who really needs it. Plus, blessings for all!

Those are just a few that I've come up with. What are your ideas for breaking the Winter Blues?

1 comment:

Jenn said...

You pretty much summed it up with all of the above!

One thing I will add that seems to chipper me up in the winter (or anytime for that matter) is going Tanning. AH glorious. Too bad it's expensive and can be deadly. But I think the feeling and the look outways both. That's it. I need to go buy a new package :) I'm so white.