Tuesday, November 15, 2011

The Game of Life

Last night I had an exceptionally fun evening, and really it's because I laughed and played a little childhood game called The Game of Life.
Source: google.com via Amy on Pinterest


I'm sure you've heard of it. Who hasn't? I was thinking a lot of different things while playing, one that I was having a really good time, and two what if my life is just like this game? I know, deep. It's true though, you choose to go to college, granted a career is just drawn for you, you have to buy a house, you have to get married, but still. I mostly found it most interesting observing those who were playing, and relating it to their game of life.

In my game I was Salesman, then a Doctor, and then a Hairdresser. I went to poor, rich, middleclass. I had twins and 2 more kids. When it asked if you wanted the family life or career path I chose family. When it asked if I wanted to choose the risky path or boring path, I chose boring. Then I collected my little life tiles and settled down in Countryside Estates.

I watched as others stressed about their loans the entire game, or how it was just their goal to have the best job, or not sue anyone for $100,000 because well, it just wasn't fair. I found it interesting that everyone chose the family life, and I wondered if we didn't have the same beliefs would we have chosen that path (I know, a little rediculous but the thought still crossed my mind). I had no problem stealing people's money, while I watched others painfully take it.

When it came to counting our money and winning it was clear who the winner was, and somehow I knew he would be the winner anyway. It took him the longest to get going, but by the end he was a millionaire. Cool, confident, and sure he pulled into Millionaire Estates with a smirk on his face.

The way we all handled our money and the different obstacles came our way was interesting too. Some shouted obscentities (NOOOO I don't want to remodel my house for $80k), others just took it in stride nodding their head and saying ok I guess, and others just suffered in silence, hoping that maybe their luck would turn around.

I know this was just a game, and we laughed and teased each other, but as I observed I realized that maybe life is just one big board game. God is just letting us spin the wheel and he is moving us on the different spaces of life.

I just hope I really skip the being sued part, or surpise you have another set of twins!

1 comment:

Jenn said...

One of your best posts yet!